Look what’s finally finished.
He didn’t turn out exactly like my drawing, but I think he’s pretty darn cute. Look at those spindly little legs! Had I a chance to do it all over again, I would probably reduce the proportion of the ScottBot body to the ScottBot head. He ended up a little larger and more square than I was expecting but I am happy.
When I first went to piece the ScottBot together I realized he didn’t have a face! So I cut some gray felt circles and stitched him some eyes and a mouth. Much better.
Putting him together in three dimensions was actually easier than I thought. I remembered seeing this tutorial by Brett Bara over at Design*Sponge on how to cover an ottoman and thought it was appropriate. I followed those directions to get effortless square corners. It actually worked. But first I sewed and stuffed the limbs and attached them to the appropriate felt squares.
Then I sewed all of the side pieces together for the head. Next came the bottom and top.
I left two sides open at the top of the head in order to stuff him and attach it to his body. I used the same process to put together the body.
When it came time to attach the head to the body, I marked the center of the bottom of the head and the center of the top of the body. Then, I very awkwardly hand stitched around the perimeter of the head. It didn’t look very pretty but it seemed to work. On to the stuffing. I stuffed him with normal polyfil and then hand stitched up his open seems. He looked a bit bulbous for my liking, not quite robot enough. Here I took a cue from LittleBrownByrd (and her seriously cute robots) on Etsy and used a simple running stitch to square up his seams.
And here he is. Ready to love you. Beep boop boop beep.